Dental Crowns Dentist
Get a Long Term Solution for a Natural-Looking Smile
While modern dentistry has a lot to offer to improve a person’s smile, a lot times restorative treatments like dental crowns can look like obvious dentistry.
At Smiles @ Southcenter our goal is to provide dentistry that is undetectable. We specialize in creating dental crowns that look and feel like your natural teeth. Call today to schedule your appointment. Our dental office is conveniently located immediately off I-5 near the Westfield Southcenter Mall in Tukwila.
What are Dental Crowns?
Where large fillings are present, or portions of a tooth are missing due to breakage or decay crowns are an ideal solution. Crowns are permanent dental restorations that fit over the remaining tooth structure. Crowns are also sometimes referred to as caps. In addition to restoring structure, crowns provide a seal that protects the interior of the tooth. While once made of gold, dental crowns today feature a white porcelain surface that matches and blends with your neighboring teeth.
With proper home care and regular checkups, your crown can be a long-term solution for a natural-looking smile.
Why Would I Need a Dental Crown?
You may need a dental crown if you:
- have a cavity that is too large for a filling
- need to cover a dental implant
- have a missing tooth and need a dental bridge
- have a tooth that is cracked, worn down or weakened
- have had a root canal treatment – the crown protects the restored tooth
- want to cover a discolored or badly shaped tooth to improve your smile
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns are a great way to protect and restore teeth. They prevent further tooth damage and maintain a healthy, pleasing smile. Dental crowns also:
- Replicate the look of a natural tooth
- Improve your smile
- Protect weak, damaged teeth
- Prevent teeth from breaking apart
- Hold together a fractured tooth
- Restore a tooth after a root canal
- Function as a replacement tooth atop a dental implant
- Serve as the support for a replacement tooth in a dental bridge
What Type of Crown Should You Get?
There are three basic crown types used today:
Porcelain fused to metal crowns are the most commonly used crown today. They combine the strength of a metal base with a cosmetic covering of tooth-colored porcelain. They have a proven track record of success. However, over time, the metal may show through at the gum-line (as a visible dark line). These crowns may therefore not be the ideal choice where esthetics are of prime importance.
Porcelain or ceramic only crowns yield the best cosmetic result, by closely reproducing the natural look of a tooth. There are many types of crowns that fit into this category and the technology is constantly advancing. The new materials are durable and provide unparalleled esthetics.
Usually made from a gold alloy, these crowns are the most durable and also require the least amount of tooth reduction. Metal only crowns are a good choice in cases of heavy bruxism or where tooth reduction must be limited.